Sunday, November 11, 2007

Away For A Time

I am at home recovering from hip surgery and am away from the school and the library. Before I left I needed to plan some activities to take the substitute teacher into November and December.

1) Our Flat Stanley letters had just started returning when I left. I think I may have been more excited than some of the students when the letters and pictures arrived. All the responses were excellent, from the pictures to the letters and gifts that people sent to the students. I can not thank these people enough for their hard work and for the parents who picked family members and friends who would take the time to respond to these student letters.

2) I pulled together a variety of books written by Patricia Polacco and some online resources, to be used by the substitute teacher with students from grades one to five. I love Patricia's books and hope that students will enjoy their introduction to her work and the reading comprehension strategies.

I am hoping to do some reading and ordering for the library while I am off. So far I have only got to the reading part. I am particularly wanting to explore young adult literature as I feel this is section of the library we need to build up. I just finished Sherman Alexie's book The Diary of a Part Time Indian. I was moved and touched by this extraordinary book! Wow! I can hardly wait to share it with teachers and students.

3 comments:

Chris Arnstead said...

Hi Amy,
Welcome back. It sounds like you have had a difficult fall.

However, you have done some great reading and I have benefitted from it through your post. I was not familiar with the book you mentioned, The Diary of the Part-time Indian. I am always in need of modern YA novels featuring Aboriginal youth for my school. I ordered it online from my locale bookstore as soon as I read your blog.

Thanks,
Chris

S Olson said...

I have heard about Part Time Indian every time I turn around. Either it's an exceptional plot or it has great publicity or both.

I just read last year's Newbery "The Higher Power of Lucky" It was such a simple story I was surprised it won.

When it came in I intrigued 3 grade 6s boys by telling them that many teacher-librarians refused to buy it because it has the word scrotum on the first page. I think they were shocked I said it out loud and also curious about what that plot could be.

Eclectech Educator said...

Yikes! I hope you are recovering well as it seems you have not been idle.

Thank you for the post. I have ordered Diary of The Part-Time Indian based on your review.

Carlene